The Nocturne criterium up next is a truly unique ‘crit-like’ event around the old town cobbled streets of Girona. Setting off at 8.30pm, riders line up ready for action with lights buzzing, a bundle of nerves in knowing the pain they are about to experience is just around the corner. Participants will have 1 hour to produce their five best laps (average) and ultimate best lap in a 1,5km circuit. The timed section is a grueling cobbled climb right alongside the incredible Girona cathedral – often providing the perfect moment for spectators and supporters to capture the odd ‘pain face’ and be right up close to all the action.
In past editions it’s been won not only with strength and power but tactic and prowess – from organized lead outs into the climb, to picking and choosing laps within the hour to lay it all on the line and taking the remainder of the lap to enjoy the crowds, recover and reset for the next effort.
Not just one for the riders, this event is a true spectacle to watch and only gets bigger and better every year as locals, visitors and the cycling community line the streets together to cheer on participants. The beauty of this event and in fact all GCF events is that all levels can compete and ride together, yet still be challenged individually and ranked separately. This provides that extra camaraderie out on the bike and only strengthens the social aspect of the Festival as a whole.
To round out the evening, a post event party and prize giving will take place in the Festival ‘Race Village’ handily located just behind the cathedral and offering the perfect chance to wind down over a burger and a beer.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- The start and finish are at the Festival Village.
- Classifications for male and female ategories: fastest lap and fastest average.
- You can do as many laps as you wish in the lapse of 1 hour, but only the average of your best 5 laps will count for the classification.
- We are NOT allowed to ‚race‘ in the old town due to security reasons. Please respect the rules and only ride at speed in the timed section.
- The use of bike lights is mandatory.
- The use or aero-bars is prohibited.
*Entry to this event is included in the festival week entry and gold packs.