The Nocturn criterium, after a rest day following the Els Àngels Hill Climb, is a truly unique crit-like event around the old town cobbled streets of Girona. With a start time of 8.30pm, riders line up ready for action, with lights flashing and nerves buzzing, in eager (or not so eager!) anticipation of what awaits them each time up past the cathedral steps. Participants will have 1 hour to ride the 1,5km circuit as many or as few times as it takes to produce their cumulative best five laps, and their fastest overall lap. The timed section is a grueling cobbled climb right alongside the incredible Girona cathedral – it provides great viewing for spectators and supporters alike to cheer on the participants as they dig deeper each lap.
In past editions it’s been won not only with strength and power but tactic and prowess – from organized lead outs into the climb, to picking and choosing laps within the hour to lay it all on the line and taking the remainder of the lap to enjoy the crowds, recover and reset for the next effort.
Not just an event for the riders, it is a true spectacle to watch and only gets bigger and better every year as locals, visitors and the cycling community line the streets together to cheer on participants. The beauty of this event, and in fact all GCF events, is that all levels can compete and ride together, yet still be challenged individually and ranked separately. This provides that extra camaraderie out on the bike and only strengthens the social aspect of the Festival as a whole.
To round out the evening, a post event party and prize giving will take place in the Festival Race Village, conveniently located just behind the cathedral and offering the perfect chance to wind down over a burger and a beer.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- The start and finish are at the Festival Village.
- Classifications for male and female categories: fastest lap and fastest average over 5 laps.
- You can do as many laps as you wish in the lapse of 1 hour, but only the average of your best 5 laps will count for the classification.
- We are NOT allowed to ‘race’ in the old town due to security reasons, please respect the rules and ONLY ride at speed in the timed section.
- The use of bike lights is mandatory.
- The use of aero-bars is prohibited.
*Entry to this event is included in the festival week entry and gold packs.